Endurance

11:32 PM

Webster's Dictionary defines the word Endurance as: "the ability to withstand hardship or adversity; especially : the ability to sustain a prolonged stressful effort or activity"

I have learned that in this industry Endurance is a must when holding out for what you really want. Sometimes your journey is longer than another's and it is the quick resolution of a friend, classmate, or worse enemy's speedy success to your "hurry up and wait" Freeway.

Ever feel like you are moving at a traffic jam pace when you are the only person on the road? That can happen in the industry, I'm sure the fashion industry is not the exception, when waiting out the job that you've been waiting for all your life. This is what I am currently experiencing and I have learned that there are two emotions that are only a waist of your time:
  1. Jealousy
  2. Guilt
Jealousy does nothing but burn a potential bridge and makes you more susceptible to a failed dream because instead of focusing on progressively moving along your Freeway you are too busy envying someone else's and it's a distraction. Often times I have found that when it comes to jealousy in the industry it's not even a matter of a common goal that is won over the other but a matter of who got to their dream first. Either way just remember grass is greener and there is always an equal transference of envy between the parties. You never know what the other person is envious of you for and you have to be willing to see the enviable in your own life, (with humility of course).

But just to flip this around, if you happen to be the person who is seeing this quick success don't give others a reason to feel down. Bridges burn both ways and it can hurt when you may need the very person you put down.

Now on to Guilt. There are times when we make decisions that we feel are the best decisions to build our careers at the time, and then....we wait. We get upset with ourselves for making these decisions and start to doubt everything which then leads to overall guilt for having chosen anything in the first place. We question if we made the right choice, create hypothetical situations for all sides of the initial decision and its outcome and then wonder if there is any way that we can change or speed up the process to make us feel better about our choices.

That doesn't always happen. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet. You make this choice because you felt it was the best choice you could make to build your career at the time. There is nothing wrong with that we all do it. But instead of getting all caught up in your head go do something productive!

I will give you a great example: My Story

Upon returning to LA from Ohio I received a job offer on the spot and decided to accept. I knew that I would have to wait for about 2.5 weeks before this position started and I was willing to take that risk. However two days before this position was to begin the one job at the one company I had been salivating to work for gave me a call to give me a chance, however accepting this position meant one thing: More waiting.

Let me break this down for you: More Waiting = Unemployed = Broke and Broker

But because this is where I want to be and my current "dream job" I chose to wait. I started loosing my mind. With friends all asking me about the first position I had to tell them "I gave it up for something else and I don't know when I start" I had no information for them, no start date no nothing, and I didn't have that information for myself! All I had was the choice that I made to turn down one for the other. Did I question myself? Sure, heck I still do, but I know that concerning where I want to go for my career this is best option.

So travelers no matter where you are on your Freeway be willing to "withstand hardship and adversity" especially when it becomes a "prolonged stressful...activity"! It will be all worth it in the end once you make it to that desired Point B.

Happy Travels!

"One Step Forward, Just Glance Back. No Fear, Just DIVA!"

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Subscribe