Luxury Brands + Woman Power = Big Bucks

9:23 AM


Karl Lagerfeld, John Galliano, Tom Ford, Yves Saint Laurent, and Valentino have more in common than just being the masterminds of the top luxury fashion brands in the world, they are also all men. This also stands true for luxury brands outside of fashion. For a long time luxury brands have been run and masterminded by men, but after reading this article by Luxury Briefing entitled Women Power
I am learning that women are making more of a presence in boardrooms rather than billboards.

I have said before that I would like to work in Brand Management and luxury brands work by a totally different set of rules. If ever there was a place to study the strangest Market Share to Advertising ratio it's with luxury brands. In college I don't really remember talking too much about luxury branding and marketing, and now I am wondering why.

Now while reading the article I came across a lot of information that I didn't know or was unfamiliar to me such as the terms "Womenomics" made popular by the Economist and "Feminocracy" which I am not all that too thrilled about. Still some great info from the article:

  • Companies with more women in senior management have a higher return on equity
  • Center for Economic Business Research predicts that by 2020 53% of millionaires will be women
I think that is great to hear for all the women who are hoping to be on the business side of fashion like myself. This information reads (to me) more job and internship opportunities to women. It also means to me a shift in advertising and female portrayal in said advertisements. I may be getting a little ahead of myself but let's look at television recently as well with women power players in shows like Sex and the City, Lipstick Jungle, and Cashmere Mafia.

I could go on and on about the moves women are making in all types of areas but the focus of this post is the luxury brand arena. So if you are like me and want to be a power player behind the scenes my recommendation, as it will always be is to fill in the cracks for yourself. One of the major reasons I started this blog is because I honestly don't know how to go about obtaining a successful career in the fashion industry other than putting myself out there and figuring it out for myself and asking others how they figured it out for themselves. You gotta get out there fill your own cracks and build your own bridges to get there. So here's a start, pick up a book. For example:

It's pretty obvious I got this image form Amazon and I have only read the preview that is provided by the site but it was enough to make me want to share it with my readers. If you have other books or resources that you use please send the info my way.

Disclaimer:
I came across all this because I have a particular interest in luxury brands and how they work. It is also here that I would like to note that I am still learning about branding and all that it entails not just luxury but all brands, so please do not take my word for the final word and if you are working in luxury right now or branding in general please leave a DIVA Stamp I would love to dialogue with you.

You Might Also Like

3 Comments

Subscribe